Assignment: Pulmonary Embolus
Assignment: Pulmonary Embolus
Assignment: Pulmonary Embolus
Preparing for Clinical Practice
Critical Thinking in Nursing Practice
Medical treatment stabilized Mr. Lawsons condition. He had a pulmonary embolus, but he is now on anticoagulants, medications that will reduce likelihood of more clot formation. Knowing that Mr. Lawson is on anticoagulants and has had recent surgery and the processes of normal wound healing (see ), Tonya believes that the patient is at risk for bleeding from his surgical wound. She acts by increasing assessments of the wound and teaching Mr. Lawson how to avoid placing stress on the wound
1. Describe the critical thinking skill that Tonya is demonstrating.After Tonya assesses the wound, she enters a note in the medical record. She describes the appearance of the incision in detail, reports on the length of the incision, and notes that one suture is loose but there is no drainage.
2. Identify the three intellectual standards that Tonya uses in making a note in the record.
3. Mr. Lawson complains of more discomfort after lying on his right side for 30 minutes. Tonya asks him to describe the pain; it is focused more on his right shoulder and ribs. Tonya sees that the drainage tubing exiting the surgical wound is caught underneath the patient. She moves it, questions the patient further to find out that he has a history of arthritis in the shoulder, and then repositions and aligns him. This is an example of which critical thinking competencies?
Tonya is planning to return to Mr. Lawsons room and spend more time discussing his concerns about going home and what to expect. She knows that Mrs. Lawson usually comes to visit around 11 AM, just before lunchtime. Tonya believes that Mrs. Lawson will be an important source of support in providing Mr. Lawsons ongoing home care. The surgeon has ordered directions for wound care and standard activity restrictions.
1. Tonya goes to Mr. Lawsons room and asks the patient, What concerns do you and your wife have about cleaning the wound? Which type of assessment question is this and why has Tonya asked it?
2. Tonya and Mr. Lawson have the following interaction:
Tonya: Mr. Lawson, What do you understand about the reason for the activity restrictions your doctor ordered?
Mr. Lawson: I think it will prevent me from not hurting myself.Tonya: Uh huh? ?go on
Mr. Lawson: I think the doctor said I could pull my stitches.
Tonyas phrase uh huh? ?go on is an example of which interviewing technique? Explain why it is useful.
3. Tonya returns to Mr. Lawsons room to discuss his discharge instructions, but she notes as she enters the room that the patient is grimacing. She asks him, Tell me where the pain is. Mr. Lawson is asked to rate the pain on a scale of 0 to 10 and rates it a 6. Tonya looks at the patients surgical wound and notes that the area of separation is still inflamed. Match the assessment technique on the left with the type of measurement on the right.
1. Patient rates pain 6 on a 0 to 10 scale. ___ A. Determining location of a symptom
2. Tell me where the pain is. ___ B. Observation
3. Patient is seen grimacing. ___ C. Inspection
4. Nurse looks at condition of wound. ___ D. Determining severity of a symptom
Managing Patient Care
You are a staff nurse on a 32-bed cardiac step-down unit. You are assigned as the preceptor for Tony, RN, a new graduate nurse, who just started his nursing career on your floor.
1. You and Tony just received morning shift report on your patients. You are assigned the following patients. Which patient do you and Tony need to see first? Explain your answer.
1. Mr. Dodson, a 52-year-old patient who was admitted yesterday with a diagnosis of angina pectoris. He is scheduled for a cardiac stress test at 0900.
2. Mrs. Wallace, a 60-year-old patient who was transferred out of intensive care at 0630 today. She had uncomplicated coronary artery bypass surgery yesterday.
3. Mr. Workman, a 45-year-old patient who experienced a myocardial infarction 2 days ago. He is complaining of chest pain rated as 6 on a scale of 0 to 10.
4. Mrs. Harris, a 76-year-old patient who had a permanent pacemaker inserted yesterday. She is complaining of incision pain rated as a 5 on a scale of 0 to 10.
2. As you work with Tony on your unit, you notice that he has trouble with time-management skills when providing patient care. Which strategies will you suggest to Tony to help him improve organization of his delivery of patient care?
3. Sonya, a nursing assistive personnel (NAP), is paired to work with you and Tony. You overhear Tony giving Sonya directions for what she needs to do. Tony says, Sonya, assist Mrs. Harris in room 418 with her afternoon walk. Take her pulse before and after she walks and record it in her chart. Ill check with you when youre finished to see how she did. On the basis of what you know about delegation, did Tony give appropriate or inappropriate directions to Sonya? Provide rationale for your answer.
Top Homework Writers is here for any paper writing help you need!
We guarantee that every piece of work we produce is original. Top Homework Writers has a team of native-speaking experts who are devoted to giving you the best paper writing help. Your work will be 100% original and on time since they always adhere to your instructions, use reputable sources, and quote them appropriately. The referencing styles used by our paper writing help experts are always per university guidelines..
We are dedicated to delivering the safest online payment experience possible, guaranteed confidentiality. That is why we maintain complete confidentiality regarding our customers' orders. Customers' private information is always protected with the highest care and confidentiality. SSL data encryption ensures that all transactions with us are safe and secure, and we provide a variety of payment choices. You can trust Top Homework Writers to keep your personal information private..
Wow Customer Support
Our online support chat is available around the clock to answer any queries about the ordering paper writing help procedure. Our customer service team cares about your satisfaction and will answer any questions you may have along the way. Our experts can assist you in any way possible, whether it's assisting you in putting together the essential points that you're struggling to convey, providing advice, or writing an entire essay.
Top Notch Quality Papers
If you need an essay urgently, or you have been in the “I need help with writing a paper” mode, you can always count on the expertise of our writers to deliver. You can relax knowing that you'll acquire a high-quality paper with our paper writing help services since their arguments are well-defined and presented. We offer help in writing papers that meet or exceed the standards and criteria of colleges and universities. That's why we have a quality assurance team to ensure that our papers help writing services are of the highest quality.
We can help with urgent tasks
Whether you need help writing papers in a matter of hours or a matter of days, we can meet your deadline. All our college paper writers are full-time writers, which means that they know their way around credible scholarly sources, and they can write a lot of pages in a short time. When you work with Top Homework Writers, you can count on us to meet every deadline. To meet your deadline, we work around the clock, even if that means staying up all night..
Pay a fair price
Our paper writing help service stands out from the competition because we put the needs of our customers first and charge lower high-quality paper writing help services. With a large array of papers, customers worldwide recognize the perfect combination of price and professionalism that we offer here at tophomeworkwriters.com